Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Best Thing I've Ever Done

1 year ago today
My brother Sam asked me to lift him up on my shoulders

One year ago today my blood stem cells were transplanted into my brother Sam, in the hopes of regenerating healthy cancer free bone marrow, to rid him of the T-Cell Lymphoma that had been ominously threatening his life.
There were certainly times where the unnerving possibilities were demoralizing and grim. But alas, the procedure was a success, and with the help of the amazing oncology team at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Sam has been making a full recovery. Today Sam (who wrote about the entire ordeal on his blog) is busy planning his wedding and completing the hand surgery fellowship in Pittsburgh that he had to leave behind after he was re-diagnosed 2 years ago.
One year ago today I helped save my brother's life,
And it was the best thing I've ever done

1 comment:

astronomicblue said...

pretty moving; and a bit unexpected from a soul-less nihilist (eg. scumbag) like yourself.